Anyone enrolling as an International Student on a course lasting four months or more in Australia will need a student visa. A student visa allows you to study in Australia, including English language courses, school courses, vocational education or university courses. Student visas are normally granted for the duration of your course of study. On a student visa you will be able to work up to 40 hours a fortnight during term and full time in the holidays. The visa will automatically be issued with ‘permission to work’ although you are not allowed to begin working until your course has started. 




- Types of study included on this visa:

  • independent ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students)
  • schools (primary and secondary)
  • secondary school exchange program
  • vocational education and training (VET)
  • higher education
  • postgraduate research
  • non-award courses
  • international students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Defence.


 - Age limit to apply?

- There is no age limit on applying for a student visa for Australia. 


- How long does the Student Visa last?

Your student visa will last for the duration of your study programme (including holiday periods) and will allow you some time to remain in Australia at the end of your course. 


- Work conditions for student visa holders.

You cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia. Once your course has commenced you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and unlimited hours when your course is out of session.


- How long does the student visa process take?

Visa processing times vary but you should allow up to four weeks. 


- English language requirements.

You might need to provide evidence of your English language skills with your visa application.


- Financial capacity requirements. 

You need to have enough money that is genuinely available to you, to pay for your course fees, and travel and living costs for you and your accompanying family members while you are in Australia. You might need to provide evidence of your financial capacity with your visa application. 


- Health requirements.

You must meet the health requirements. You might need to undergo health examinations as part of the visa application process. The health assessment process can take several weeks to complete. To help avoid delays, you can choose to undertake your health examination prior to lodging your visa application.


 - Health insurance.

You must have adequate health insurance while in Australia. Students can show this by obtaining Overseas student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance.


For more informations visit:




Online Enquiry
Name *
Phone *
Email *
How Did You Hear About Us *
Interested in
AMES Education
AMES Immigration
AMES Accounting
* Required fields